Genesis 1:20 (NAS)
Then God said, "Let the waters teem with swarms of living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth in the open expanse of the heavens."
1. Waters is Mahyim same as waters the first of Genesis - water, waters, water of the feet, urine. Of Danger, violence, transitory things, refreshment.
2. teem is Sharats – meaning (Qal) to teem, swarm, multiply. To swarm.
3. Swarms is a derivative of sharats – it is Sherets meaning teeming or swarming things, creepers, swarmers - of insects, animals, small reptiles, quadrupeds.
4. Living is Chay meaning living, alive (green/ of vegetation, flowing fresh / of water, lively, active (of man) reviving (of springtime) it means relatives. Life (abstract emphatic sustenance, maintenance. Living thing, animal: life, appetite, revival, renewal. It means community.
5. Creatures is Nephesh meaning soul, self, life, creature, person, appetite, mind, living being, desire, emotion, passion. That which breathes – the breathing substance or being. The inner being of man or the soul. The living being as in the life in the blood. The activity of the mind – seat of emotions, passions and activity of the will, activity of the character are all seated here. Dubious.
6. birds is owph meaning flying creatures, fowl, winged insects, birds
7. Fly is uwph meaning to fly, hover, fly about or fly away. It also means to cause to fly or light upon and it can mean to fly to and fro. It has a (Qal) meaning: to cover, be dark, gloom.
8. Above is al this preposition has quiet an amazing depth for such a small word: upon, on the ground of, according to, on account of, on behalf of, concerning, beside, in addition to, together with, beyond, above, over, by, on to, towards, to, against. It means because of, for the sake of, with, for, in spit of, notwithstanding, concerning, in the matter of. It show above, beyond and over in excess (example in abundance to the full till it overflows). It shows pre-eminence of elevation (example not to lean on our own understanding – his thoughts are “higher than our thoughts). It also show multiplicity of addition – in addition to, together with, upon, unto (examples of where God adds to our ordinary to complete us) which is a deeper meaning of being over as in an extension or suspension. It means by adjoining, around next to in proximity (of contiguity) It also is a verb of motion: down upon, on, from, up to, towards, against. (examples God is for us not against us. Who ever is not against God is for Him). It is also a conjunction (conjunction junction what’s your function) to (as a dative?) because, notwithstanding and although.
9. Earth is same as earlier verses (erets) look back for definition.
10. open is paniym meaning face or faces, presence, person, face of: seraphim or cherubim, animals, surface of ground. It is also used as an adverb to describe location examples are before and behind, toward, in front of, forward, formerly, from beforetime as a preposition as well examples of each are: as Christ goes before all thing, God is omnipresent; we are to go before Christ, others before us. As a preposition it means in front, in the face of the enemy, Christ was with God from the beginning. Before there was, there was God.
11. Expanse is raqiya same definition as firmament – look back in notes.
12. Heavens is shawmayhim – interesting that it has the Hebrew work mayhim (we derive waters) as part of it. It is derived from an unused Hebrew word eym meaning lofty. Defined it means: heaven, heavens, sky or visible heavens, as an abode of the stars, as the visible universe or atmosphere, the abode of God.
Read the poem I sent last night. Think about these definitions as you are doing so. Take some time to write about what you are thinking for us to share together Friday.
I leave of with these two verse to ponder:
Proverbs 20:5 A plan in the heart of a man is like deep water, But a man of understanding draws it out.
Proverbs 27:19 As in water face reflects face, So the heart of man reflects man.
Ecclesiasties 3:11 He has made everything appropriate in its time. He has also set eternity in their heart, yet so that man will not find out the work which God has done from the beginning even to the end.
1 Peter 1:12 God revealed to the prophets that the things they had spoken were not for their own benefit but for yours. What the prophets had spoken, the Holy Spirit, who was sent from heaven, has now made known to you by those who spread the Good News among you. These are things that even the angels want to look into.
I pray that we understand this day what God means when He promised us that the spirit searches all things even the depths of God. I pray that we: look toward the heavens each moment giving praise, that we keep our face set as flint and our eyes set on the things of His Kingdom, that we think on things that are holy, lovely and pure with the a devotion toward all that He is. Remember that the Holy Spirit has made all things known to you so guard your heart above all else, because out of it flows the issues of life. Be well today, because you can be!
With Love to you all...in Christ;